It may be the kid in me speaking, but I really miss my Gameboy and not only for Pokemon games. I miss it for games like Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong Country. I miss it for the car rides spent with my cousins and brothers as we hunted down the three legendary dogs in Crystal version. I miss it simply because it reminds me of a simpler time where the only thing I had to worry about was running out of batteries.
All in all I think it’s fair to say that I miss my Gameboy primarily because I sold it at a time when I really wasn’t that in to video games. I must note that I haven’t always been such an avid gamer. I’ve always played video games, but it wasn’t until this last year that I really threw myself into the world of video games. I’ve done this so much so that I’ve even begun recollecting N64, SNES, and NES games again. Talk about nostalgia right? That being said, I don’t currently have any plans to reacquire a Gameboy or my old games at any point in the near future. I guess it’s just one of those days where I remember what it was like bringing my Gameboy places to keep me company rather than my iPhone nowadays. It’s just a different time in my life, which isn’t a bad thing, but I’ll always remember the days spent ignoring the outside world while I feverishly raised my Pokemon.
I’m not one of those past generation elitists who believes that the current generation sucks when it comes to handheld systems nowadays, but I do believe that my generation, which was dominated by the Gameboy Color, Advance, and SP, was extremely spoiled. To me personally, the DS is just so awkward. Not bad, just unorthodox if you will. My brother tells me that it plays classic Nintendo games like Mario Bros, Ocarina of Time 3D, and other games of similar association quite well, but when it comes to games outside of that circle, it just doesn’t contend with the Nintendo handheld systems of our era. I’m not judging, it’s just my opinion. Regardless, the main point is that I simply miss my Gameboy!
-Ocarina of Time Nerd
- Bust or Boom; The Inner Ramblings Of A Torn Nintendo Fan (ourhumbleopinions.wordpress.com)
- Iconic Video Game Infographics – This Infographic Details the History of Nintendo (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Longterm things Nintendo needs to do (seanmalstrom.wordpress.com)
- 11 Ways The 3DS Has Already Been Done By Nintendo (multiplayerblog.mtv.com)
- Visually striking history of Nintendo is a handy guide to past consoles (geek.com)
- NPD: Nintendo 3DS Software Sales Increase By 89 Percent (mynintendonews.com)
- From NES to WII U: A Look Back at Nintendo Game Consoles (blogs.wsj.com)
- Throwback Thursday: Pikachu Edition (jonathancrumes.wordpress.com)
- Nintendo 3DS gets new Fire Emblem, Luigi’s Mansion, and Brain Age in 2013 (digitaltrends.com)
- Nintendo Focuses on the Non-Gamers (beta.fool.com)